Instagram Extract authentication guide
- The Instagram Extract connector uses an OAuth for third-party authentication.
- While connector properties may differ between cloud data warehouses, the authentication process remains the same.
- OAuth tokens will eventually expire and require remaking. This is outside of Matillion's control. However, existing tokens may be extended or refreshed at any time.
- Instagram uses the Facebook OAuth process for authentication. Therefore, a registered Facebook app must be linked to an Instagram business account.
Creating an OAuth Entry in Matillion ETL
1. In Matillion ETL click Project → Manage OAuth to open the Manage OAuth dialog.
If an Instagram Extract connector has already been added to an orchestration job, the Manage OAuth dialog may also be accessed using the following method:
- Click the connector icon to open the Properties panel at the bottom of the screen.
- Click ... next to the Authentication property, and then click Manage.
2. Copy the Callback URL from the top of the Manage OAuth dialog, as this will be required in Acquiring Third-Party Credentials.
3. Click to open the Create OAuth Entry dialog.
4. Provide a name for the OAuth in the Name field. Then select Instagram from the Service dropdown, and click OK.
5. On returning to the Manage OAuth dialog, check the list of OAuths to ensure the new entry is listed.
This entry is Not Configured. Configuration of the OAuth entry will be discussed in Authorizing for use in Matillion ETL.
Acquiring Third-Party Credentials
1. Navigate to the Facebook Developer Portal (also known as Meta for Developers), click Log In on the top-right of the screen, and enter valid login credentials.
2. Once logged in, the Log In menu option will be replaced by My Apps. Click My Apps to open your Apps page, and then click Create App in the top-right.
3. On the Select an app type page, select the Business type, then click Next.
4. On the Add details page, provide details for the following fields, then click Create App:
- Display name – provide a name for the app, which will be used to identify it on the Apps page.
- App contact email – provide a contact email within your organization, to receive notifications and other communications regarding the app.
- Business account – From the drop-down list, select the business account that the app will be connected to. This is optional so it is normally fine to leave this field showing No Business Account selected, but certain app features will require the app to be connected to a business account.
You must re-enter your password as a security check before moving on to the next step.
5. The browser will now show the Add products to your app screen. Locate the Facebook Login product, and click Set Up.
6. The Quickstart wizard will open. Use this to add Facebook Login to the app. Begin by selecting a platform for the app.
7. The wizard will reload with a block featuring a series of platform-specific questions and configurations. Follow the prompts and provide the required details. The details will vary depending on which platform you chose in the previous step. For this example, we have chosen Web.
8. Next, click on Facebook Login, then Settings on the sidebar to open the Client OAuth Settings dialog. In the Valid OAuth Redirect URIs field, paste the Callback URL (copied from the Manage OAuth dialog in Matillion ETL earlier). Click Save changes in the bottom-right of the dialog.
9. Click Add Product next to Products in the sidebar to return to the Add Products to Your App screen. In the list of products available for your app, find Marketing API, and click Set Up. This will take you to the Welcome to Marketing API page, but no further configuration is required here.
10. Click Settings then Basic on the sidebar and copy the credentials from both the App ID and App Secret fields. These will be required in Authorizing for use in Matillion ETL.
- To copy the App Secret, first click Show and enter your account password when prompted.
- When copying the credentials, some browsers may add a space to the end of the string. Watch out for this as it will cause the credentials to fail.
Authorizing for use in Matillion ETL
1. Return to the Manage OAuth window in Matillion ETL and click next to the previously created OAuth entry. This will open the Configure OAuth dialog.
2. Using the credentials copied from the Facebook Developer Portal earlier, provide details for the following fields:
3. The next dialog will have an Authorization link. Click the link to authorize Matillion ETL to use the acquired credentials.
4. The browser will then redirect to a Facebook dialog, requiring confirmation of the associated account. Click Continue as <Account Name> to confirm.
5. If all is successful, the browser will return to Matillion ETL with a dialog stating, "Authorization Successful".