QuickBooks Online Query authentication guide
This is a step-by-step guide to acquiring credentials for authorizing the QuickBooks Online Query component for use in Matillion ETL.
The QuickBooks Online Query connector uses an OAuth entry for third-party authentication.
While connector properties may differ between cloud data warehouses, the authentication process remains the same.
Begin by creating an OAuth entry in Matillion ETL, as described in Manage OAuth. You should then configure this OAuth entry using the QuickBooks Online credentials, obtained as described below.
Acquiring third-party credentials
- Navigate to the Intuit Developer website, then click Sign In at the top-right of the page. If you do not see a Sign In option, click the three-bar menu symbol to reveal the option on a drop-down menu.
- Enter valid login credentials to continue to the Developer home page.
- Click Dashboard in the top-right of the page to open the My Apps Dashboard page, and then click + Create An App.
- On the Create app page, click QuickBooks Online and Payments.
- On the QuickBooks Online and Payments page, provide the following details and then click Create app:
- Give your app a name: Provide an appropriate name for the app.
- Select a scope: Select a scope for the APIs you would like to access.
- The browser will then redirect to the Develop your app tutorial. This can be skipped at this stage. Instead, click Production Settings on the sidebar on the left of the page.
- On the Production page, scroll down to Terms of service links and provide details for the following fields:
- End User License Agreement Url: Provide a link to the End User License Agreement associated with the app.
- You do not need to complete any further information on this page, so now scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save.
- In the sidebar menu, click Keys & credentials under the Development Settings heading. Note that there is also a Keys & credentials option under the Production Settings heading, but that is not the option you want.
On the Keys & OAuth page, copy the credentials from the Client ID and Client Secret fields. Save these credentials, as they will be required when configuring the Oauth in Matillion ETL.
- Make sure to copy the Client Secret immediately, as it will only appear once.
- When copying these values, some browsers may add a space to the end of the string. Watch out for this, as it will cause the credentials to fail.
Scroll down to the Redirect URIs section and replace the sample URI in the LINK field with the Callback URL from the Manage OAuth dialog in Matillion ETL. Then, click Save at the bottom of the page.
- On the top-right of the page, click the user icon and then click Sandbox from the drop-down menu.
- On the Manage sandbox companies page, find the name of the company that will be associated with the app. Copy the credential listed next to Company ID, as it will be required configuring the OAuth in Matillion ETL.
- Return to the Manage OAuth dialog in Matillion ETL to complete the OAuth configuration.