This article describes the process to backup Matillion ETL instances for Azure customers.
- Sign in to the Azure portal.
- In the menu on the left, select Virtual Machines.
- From the list, select a VM to back up (we have selected the instance
j5-011118-azure-191445in the below example).
- On the VM blade, in the Settings section, click Backup. The Enable backup blade opens.
- Under Recovery Services vault, click Create new and provide the name for the new vault.
- Select a Resource Group for the new backup system. This is probably the same Resource Group that your instance belongs to.
- Select a pre-existing backup policy or scroll down and Create (or edit) a new policy.
- When happy with your backup configuration, click Enable Backup.
Returning to this blade will allow you to check the status of backups on this instance and, after the first backup is performed (may take around 20 minutes), allow you to use backups as restore points for the instance.
Azure Site Recovery
Microsoft's Azure Site Recovery (ASR) is a disaster recovery service that can replicate your workloads from virtual machines (VMs) in one site to a secondary location. When an outage occurs at your primary site, you fail over to the secondary location, and access your workloads from there with no loss of service.
This isn't a setup that Matillion has tested; however, we aren't aware of any reason why a Matillion ETL instance hosted in an ASR disaster recovery site would not work as usual.
For more information on using Azure Site Recovery, read Microsoft's Azure Site Recovery documentation.