Facebook Authentication Guide
These connectors use an OAuth for third-party authentication. OAuth tokens will eventually expire and require remaking. This is outside of Matillion's control. However, existing tokens may be extended or refreshed at any time.
While connector properties may differ between cloud data warehouses, the authentication process remains the same.
- Begin the OAuth entry process as described in Manage OAuth. You should then configure this OAuth entry using your Facebook credentials, obtained as described below.
- A new Facebook app should always be used when following this authentication process.
- The callback URL, and therefore the Matillion ETL instance, must be HTTPS, not HTTP.
Acquiring third-party credentials
- Open the Facebook Developer Portal (also known as Meta for Developers).
- Click Log In in the top-right of the UI and enter valid login credentials, where you will return to the developers homepage.
- Click My Apps in the top right to open your Apps page, which displays all your existing apps.
- Click Create App at the top-right of the Apps page.
- You will be asked Which use case do you want to add to your app?. Select Other, then click Next.
- You will be asked to Select an App type. Select Business, then click Next.
- On the next screen, provide details for the following fields, then click Create app:
- Add an App name: Provide a name for the app, which will be used to identify it on the Apps page.
- App Contact Email: Provide a contact email within your organization, to receive notifications and other communications regarding the app.
- Business Account: From the drop-down list, select the business account that the app will be connected to. This is optional so it's normally fine to leave this field showing No Business Manager account selected, but certain app features will require the app to be connected to a business account.
- The browser will now show the Add Products to Your App screen. Locate the Facebook Login for Business product, and click Set Up.
- Click Facebook Login for Business and then Quickstart from the lower left sidebar. The Quickstart page will open. Begin by selecting a platform for the app.
- A series of platform-specific questions and configurations will appear. Follow the prompts and provide the required details. The details will vary depending on which platform you chose in the previous step. Click Next after completing each step, until all steps are complete.
- Click Facebook Login for Business → Settings from the lower left sidebar. This will open the Client OAuth settings screen. In the Valid OAuth Redirect URIs field, paste the Callback URL copied from the Manage OAuth dialog in Matillion ETL. Click Save changes.
- At the top of the Client OAuth Settings interface, there is a red warning box informing you that your app currently has standard access to
public_profile. To use Facebook Login, you'll need to gain advanced access to public profiling. To do this, click Get Advanced Access.
- On the Permissions and Features interface, scroll down to locate
public_profileand click Request advanced access next to it.
- In the Confirm advanced access dialog, click to agree to the Usage check and complete the Data handling policy questions. You may be able to pre-fill responses to this section according to other apps you have created, and carefully review them before you proceed. Click Submit when you are satisfied. Enter your account password when prompted and click Submit. After confirmation, you'll be returned to the Permissions and Features dialog, where you'll be able to see your app's public profile setting, with the access level set to Advanced Access.
- Click Settings and then Advanced from the upper left sidebar. Scroll down to the Domain Manager section of the page. Click Add a domain on the right of the interface to open the Add a domain dialog.
- Click My Apps and select your app to return to the Add products to your app interface. In the list of products available for your app, find Marketing API, and click Set Up. This will take you to the Welcome to Marketing API page, but no further configuration is required here.
Click Settings and then Basic on the sidebar. Copy the credentials from both the App ID and App Secret fields. These will be required when configuring the OAuth in Matillion ETL in Matillion ETL.
- To copy the App Secret, first click Show and enter your account password when prompted.
- When copying the credentials, some browsers may add a space to the end of the string. Watch out for this as it will cause the credentials to fail.
Now return to the Manage OAuth dialog in Matillion ETL to complete the OAuth configuration.
- When you complete the authorization process in Matillion ETL, you will be directed back to Facebook, where you must complete a few basic steps before the OAuth is fully authorized. When completed, the Facebook page will close and you will return to your METL instance.