This article explains how to create a user-assigned managed identity. Creating a managed identity is a prerequisite and must be completed before a CDC agent is deployed in Azure.
There are two types of managed identities:
- System-assigned managed identities.
- User-assigned managed identities. This is preferred for the CDC agent deployment process.
- If you don't already have an Azure account, create on via the Azure portal before continuing.
- An existing Azure virtual machine (VM). If you don't already have a virtual machine, you can build one using the guidance at Create virtual machine.
Create a managed identity
To create and configure a managed identity in Azure:
- Sign in to the Azure portal.
- In the search field, enter Managed Identities. Under Services, click Managed Identities.
Select the first option for managed identities. Once you are on the Managed Identities page, click the Create button from the top navigation.
On the Create User Assigned Managed Identity page, select the subscription, the resource group, and the location. Finally, give the managed identity a name.
- Click Review + create.
- After validation has passed, click Create to provision the managed identity.
Assign identities to a virtual machine
- Log in to the Azure portal to connect to your virtual machine.
- Navigate to the desired virtual machine, and click Identity → User assigned → +Add.
- Click the user-assigned identity you want to add to the virtual machine, then click Add.